top of page

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status is a method of applying for a "green card", also known as lawful permanent residence, from within the U.S. There are many pathways for eligible noncitizens to apply for a green card. Services include:

  • I-485 Adjustment of Status

  • I-765 Employment Authorization

  • I-131 Advance Parole

  • I-864 Affidavit of Support

  • I-601 Waivers

  • I-751 Removal of Conditions

Green Card US Permanent resident USA. Social Security card. VISA United States of America.
  • Adjustment of status is one way to gain lawful permanent residence, also known as a green card. Adjustment of status is available to many noncitizens who are present in the U.S. and have a visa available.

  • A green card opens many doors, including the ability to find stable employment, the ability to travel internationally and re-enter the U.S., as well as the ability to petition for spouses, minor children, or unmarried adult sons or daughters.

  • Many applicants are eligible to get a green card through adjustment of status without having to return to their home country to complete immigrant visa consular processing.

  • An alternative to adjustment of status is to apply for a green card from outside the U.S. at an embassy or consulate abroad. This is called immigrant visa consular processing. An experienced attorney can determine which of these options, if either, is available.

  • Not all immigrants are eligible for a green card. The process involves many complex legal and factual issues. For example, an applicant may be “inadmissible” due to past immigration or criminal violations.

bottom of page